In just five years, the world’s leading pharmaceutical markets will be dominated by products largely undifferentiated from their competitors, with many of the industry’s representatives either displaced or assigned new responsibilities. At the same time, diverse stakeholders will look to the industry for improvement in the holistic treatment of disease — improvements that extend beyond the benefits of a chemical compound.
With these changes in the future landscape, many pharmaceutical companies are redefining how they engage customers and better communicate their value. Many are looking to:
- Redefine their value propositions to talk more about the science of the compound and potential outcomes
- Better engage old and new customers — advocates, integrated delivery networks, communities and states
- Leverage more channels, and new channels, for reaching customers —
e-channels, on-demand and multi-channel marketing
- Deploy more effective field forces, such as key account management or service-based sales forces
IMS has a proven methodology and framework to help guide new commercial model development across five key areas — from situation analysis to implementation:
- Understand the Market Landscape of the Future: Establish a common point of view on how the healthcare environment will change
- Develop a Strategic Plan: Identify the implications to your capabilities, portfolio or franchise
- Define the New Capabilities Needed: Assess your current capabilities and identify the gaps
- Put the Right Organization in Place to Support the Strategy: Assess your options and decide on the most suitable framework
- Execute, Implement and Track: Roll out your new commercial model using best practice approaches
Learn more about IMS Consulting Group capabilities in commercial strategy.
- Strong understanding of the full commercial model journey
- Deep knowledge of key stakeholders and their interrelationships
- Solid focus and expertise around approaches
- Unique access to information assets
- Capability to custom-fit benchmarks and insights
IMS Special Report
Understanding New Commercial Models
This in-depth IMS study of the commercial landscape for more than 80 therapeutic categories in the world’s eight mature markets lays the groundwork for commercial decision-making.
Download the Executive Summary.
In a Q&A piece in Next Generation Pharmaceutical magazine, IMS’s Chris Nickum outlines IMS’s best practices for New Commercial Model development.
To learn more about how to optimize your commercial strategy, visit the IMS Consulting Group homepage or contact our consulting team.